Background: Using a shunt resistor can allow you to measure very high currents using the TPDIN-Monitor-WEB2. A shunt resistor is an external high current capacity resistor that is placed in-line with the current circuit. The shunt is usually constructed of an alloy called Manganin (86% Copper, 12% Manganese, 2% Nickel) because it has a stable resistance over temperature. The TPDIN-Monitor-WEB2 measures the voltage drop across the resistor and displays the appropriate current.
2. Selecting a shunt resistor depends on how much current you need to measure. You can use the tool above to find the resistance needed to meet your Max Current requirements by changing the Shunt Resistor Ohms value until the Max Current displays your required current and then finding a shunt with the proper resistance and minimum watts value. For instance in the example above you may need to measure up to about 300A. You will need to find a shunt resistor with 0.000100 Ohms and at least 11W power capacity.
3. Another way to select a shunt is to find an available shunt with a current rating higher than your required current. Most common shunts are 75mV shunts. The TPDIN-Monitor-WEB2 shunt input is +/- 33 mV. When using a 75mV shunt you will need to de-rate for a 33mV input.
a.For example, a 100A 75mV shunt will only be able to display up to +/- 44A on the TPDIN-Monitor-WEB2 (75mV/33mV = 2.27 100A/2.27 = 44A)
b.Another way is to look at shunt resistance: 100A 75mV shunt , (E/I=Ω), 75mV/100A = 0.00075Ω. Enter the 0.00075Ω to the System page and you will see Max Current is 44A.
Stay up to date on our new products, check out some Remote Power applications and more by signing up for our quarterly newsletter.
Sign up for our newsletter, TODAY!
If you would like a RemotePro™ Solar System, but you aren't sure how to calculate the correct system. Fill out the form below and someone from our sales team will get back to you within 48 hours.
• Input Voltage 9-36VDC
• 24V Gigabit Passive 4 Pair PoE Output
• Dual Inputs for Connecting 2 Power Sources
• Integrated 10/100/1000MB PoE Inserter
• High Power up to 24W
• Short Circuit, Over Current and Reverse/Over Voltage Protect
• High Temperature Operation to 70C
• Built-in Low Battery Disconnect and Surge Protection
Introducing our new 100W and 200W continuous power output solar systems. These RemotePro™ systems come with a large aluminum enclosure, solar charge controller, solar panels, batteries, required cabling, and mounting hardware (everything but the pole). These systems can manage heavy loads where the sunlight is plentiful, or lighter loads with only a little bit of sunlight. Go to our Solar Calculator to size your system today. If you don't know how to use the calculator or would like us to verify which system will work best for your application, click here.
-802.3at PoE input , 802.3af and Passive PoE outputs
-Extended Temperature Range: -40 to +70C
-Short Circuit and Over Current Protection
The POE-SPLT-48G-VUB is an active splitter which accepts an 802.3at Mode A/B or passive PoE (2 or 4 pair) input and provides two PoE outputs. Output 1 is an 802.3af Mode B PoE output with Data and PoE. Output 2 is a 48V Passive PoE Mode B output with PoE only, no data. The splitter is designed to supply power and data to one device and power only to the second device.
It is Gigabit compatible providing speeds to 1000MB. There are various protections for short circuit, overload and low voltage disconnect.
The TPBAT12-52 high rate valve regulated sealed lead acid (VRLA) AGM battery has been developed for long term operation in harsh environments. They have a high cycle life and impressive 8 year float life. They are designed to operate over a wide temperature range such as those experienced in outdoor equipment applications. The batteries can be installed in any position without affecting their performance or reliability. The batteries have a carrying/lifting handle for convenience. Click here for more information.
- Very Compact Size
- Dual Output: 48V PoE plus 24VDC Output
- Converts an Active PoE Input to a DC output
- Output Power Up To 15W
- Short Circuit, Over Current Protection
The POE-MSPLT-4824P-F is a unique splitter with dual outputs. It accepts 802.3af or 802.3at PoE and provides 48V PoE and 24VDC outputs concurrently so two separate devices can be powered. The 24VDC output is provided on a standard 5.5mm/2.5mm barrel connector and the Data/PoE output is provided on standard female RJ45 network connector, each on a dedicated 6” cable. The DC connector is compatible with Tycon passive PoE injectors like POE-INJ-1000-S for ease of integration. In addition to being compatible with 10/100MB Ethernet speeds, inputs and outputs are isolated and the devices include protections for short circuit and overload.
Gigabit PoE Inserter
+/- 10-60VDC IN, 56VDC OUT Dual channel 802.3at PoE, 70W
- Input Voltage +/- 10-60VDC; Output 56VDC Dual Channel 802.3at, 70W
- Integrated Gigabit PoE+ Inserter
- Short Circuit, Over Current and Over Voltage Protection
- High Temperature Operation 60°C
- Removable Wire Terminal Input for up to 12AWG wires
The Gigabit compatible TP-DCDC-1256G-VHP and TP-DCDC1256GD-VHP are special very high power DC to DC converters / POE inserters designed especially for higher power PoE applications. The TP-DCDC-1256GD-VHP has dual channel 802.3at output for PTZ Cameras like the Axis 6000 series. The TP-DCDC-1256G-VHP is designed for those High Power Passive PoE devices like Ubiquiti airFiber. The unique POE inserter supplies 56VDC POE power on all 8 Ethernet wires (4 Pair) with a total output of up to 70W.
The wide input voltage range (10VDC to 60VDC) makes these units universal in battery powered applications. The units input and output is isolated so they work in a negative ground of positive ground system. They have two DC inputs for connecting 2 power sources, like a primary and backup power source. They have various protections for surge, short circuit and overload. The units come complete with a DIN Rail mounting kit for mounting to a standard DIN rail.
Send in your case studies and receive a solar power bank. We love learning about all the different applications our products are used for. Remote Power Systems, Remote Power Monitors, Switches, or any other products.
No matter the product and application, we'd love to hear from you!
Solar Power Bank: Use this compact device to power your phone or tablet while camping, hiking, sun bathing, and more... The TPB-5-Solar can be charged via USB or the small solar panel on the front.
Tycon Power Systems’ RPPL1212-36-30 is used to power 2 13W LED lights and a 12V photocell which allows the lights to operate. Our RPPL1212-36-30 is an 8W Continuous Power system with 6 hrs peak sun. 12V 36Ah Battery, 12VDC 15W (unregulated) wire terminal and 12V 18W (unregulated) PoE output. Polycarbonate Enclosure.